Trending in the news now, besides UVA, is another college campus, Cornell University. Neither schools are getting accalades. Their reputations are in question because of crimes, one death and one sexual assault case. Podcasters have caught on.
I believe The Clery Act will come into play. I heard a lawyer centered podcast this morning speak of Title IX. The two work together. There will be copy and paste links below.
Politicians are talking, be careful. They will use these opportunities to cloud the issues or to benefit themselves. AOC is out there.
This is a blog that tries to bring awareness on prevention. Lawsuits, legitimate, factual, fictious. false, can be eyes and ears opening and informative. Discernment is important.
Lawsuits can be a dime a dozen. Someone is paying and sadly, it is not always the murderer or rapists. The victims pay and so do you.
Lawsuits brought under false pretensing can damage worse than lawsuits that seek the truth. I know personally just how that works.
If you were ever a college student before these laws were enacted, you may think, "how did we survive?". I bet most of us never thought outside certain boxes. I am not sure I ever thought the college was not legally responsible for safety in the early '70s. I went to a college campus that was not free of crime. I never felt unsafe. That being said, one girl was raped, the freshman boys' dorm had constant fires, we had liqour at parties on a "dry" campus, and one fraternity got busted and ousted for drugs. We had no sororities are that time.
Below are links:
Since the top 10, Commandments that is, did not seem to be clear enough, there are now millions of laws. When they are broken, we all pay a price.
I show the links with a description because I like to know myself where the links take me.
The Clery Act and Title IX:
This link is a pdf so copy and paste:
intersection-titleix-clerychart.508.pdf https://share.google/FwQf94O8gQQy0iD6l
Copy and paste.
For those do not think their are consequences to staff :
https://youtu.be/0qnso9G7EeQ?is=KWh7ATxBZaBrIQrV
The Clery Act and Brown University:
-https://youtu.be/Gq4E-QjUA-8?is=P8Ce90SndSQ9ezzE
Next up: Colleges responsibilities when students go missing. If you read my book, you have a clue to the next blog post.
Remember, warning people of danger is the law. The messengers are not always on top of the law. Then there are some messengers whom are just not believed. Listening need to know the law besides "Though shalt not kill."
Discernment, rinse and repeat.
Marian R. Carlino
September 29, 2026