When tragedy strikes through the violent forces of nature or at the hands of violent people, the phrase "rescue and recovery" are paired.
Sometimes, though despite rescue efforts, it becomes recovery. The recovery phase is just that, recovering the dead.
Once it is determined that the chance of anyone surviving is next to zero, or all live victims are out of danger, the recovery phase begins.
Can you think of any events that very quickly advanced to the recovery stage? Some miracles do happen, someone may be found alive, but recovery usually involves body bags.
Let's see what ALEXA says: She says there are four stages when I asked about the definition of RECOVERY after a tragedy.
I asked her several times. She gave a few different answers but these four were the most common when I asked about the definition. On one of her responses, hope was in stage 4.
1 safety and stabilization
2 grieving and mourning
3 reconnecting and integration
4 consolidation and resolution
I asked specifically about the stages of recovery after a school shooting.
1 safety and stabilization
2 remembering and mourning
3 community reintegration
4 long term healing
When tragedy strikes, chaos and confusion factor in. The long term effects are often felt across continents. We are six degrees of separation after all.
No video links for this one. We can all remember on our own.
Next up, studies on averted vs completed school shootings with examples of real events.
Marian R. Carlino
August 19, 2026