It took newspapers going to court to get the video from the court case regarding the classroom and police ( in the classroom) in Newport News. It was just released, although the shooting was in 2023. Did you see my post about Smarter than a Fifth Grader? The video released demonstrates why angry children with a gun can be as dangerous as any adult.
JT's anger is palatable in this video. The video is behind a paywall at Virginia Pilot. This is a FB link that should allow you to read the article and watch the video. This is after the injured teacher leaves the room. Caution: JT uses curse words.
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/19eVv2WaWJ/
The staff member was very patient in the video and was clearly at risk. What if JT squirmed off her lap? Could she have been shot too? I do think if JT was listed in the criminal case as one of the children, maybe the criminal case had more chance of survival. JT was a victim too.
The classroom teacher was shot. The article explains, as do numerous posts in this blog, the costs and the details of the shooting.
After my book was published, I did not post very often. The civil trial against the VP got me writing again on this blog. I want to encourage people to get over their fears so incidents can be prevented.
After seeing this new video, the staff member sitting with the child deserves a lot of credit. She also really tried to get the VP to respond appropriately. She held her ground during her testimony.
I had faith in 1998 and went beyond the weak link in the command in my district. The teachers in this situation tried unsuccessfully in 2023, due to chain of command fears. The VP was the weakest link.
I think the teacher had to have faith to carry on with the civil lawsuit. It took guts even though I am glad she is no longer teaching.
The VP got off easy and in my opinion the judge in the criminal trial is terrible.
But I know, that "faith has to carry us through our fears". The man, whom I passed this morning on my way to work, said that term to the person next to him. I committed it to my morning memory thinking it would make a good title. I did not know of the video at that time.
To prevent school shootings or attacks, remember to trust there is a bigger picture and trust in the One who knows it. He will never put you to shame. Have faith, it conquers.
Marian R. Carlino
October 7, 2026