I have watched the movie twice now. I need to watch movies multiple times, and with closed caption on in order to tune into the details especially with "who dun its?"
In a previous post I recommended the movie. Why? Originally, I tuned in because of the lead, Hugh Jackman. But then, while watching it with the youngest generation, it took on a new meaning.
Concerned at first for the little ones because it is a murder mystery, I watched faces. Interest, concern, tears were all part of the watching process, and that was only me! The children were totally engaged and cared too.
I would not say that the movie has a happy ending, but the mystery is solved and the legacy continues. But it is a joyful movie with moving parts.
Did the movie company, by accident, use a Biblical story? I am not sure of that but today at Mass, the opening song inspired me to write this post and made me once again want to discuss the movie's influence, impact or take aways. If you watched it, did you see any connections to commonly known Bible stories?
I had a college professor who would not have liked the personification of animals. She would say that if a story is about humans, use human characters. The metaphors may have been missed if the script writers did not use sheep. We compare humans to animals all the time. I do not remember my professor's take on that.
In the movie, the shepherd loved his sheep and they in turn, loved him. He rescued and protected them from harm. He rescued a black sheep who was willing to lay down his life for his friends. The shepherd left a legacy for others to follow in his footsteps.
I make connections for life. Lay down and rest. Change some hearts? Take a break from the news.
The song at Mass: "I heard the voice of Jesus say":
https://youtu.be/Kh4XxlWZhMs?is=KyF2MDIKO19wAzij
https://youtube.com/shorts/5N7WpgFbILk?is=zmXjdZuHjT-iSDMY
The Sheep Detectives: It will make you laugh cry, and think. Jesus always loved a good story!
https://youtu.be/pyZI5oM6hWk?is=QcJ0nF4aX4qlAok7
This photo copy was given as a gift to my husband ( long before the divorce). I felt so moved by it, that I also got copies. I gave one to a friend at our library so many years ago. She stopped and looked at it intently. Her daughter had just adopted a lamb.
The picture greets people as they enter my apartment. There are millions of words written about a picture such as this. The artist must have been inspired.
Love,
Marian
August 16, 2026
