The roof, the roof, the roof. The door, the door, the door. The window, the window, the window.
Open access. It could not happen here?
The murder of CK at UVU, will hopefully spark a Clery Act review if one is not already in progress. Hopefully, their Oct 1, 2026 report, required by The Clery Act, will advise why the inaccessable and monitored roof from where the shooter took aim had easy access on the day of the shooting. Their page 46 of the October 1, 2025 report advises of rooftops. The remains of the day on September 10, 2025 contradict the 2025 report published on Oct 1, 2025.
(The 2025 report did not include CK's shooting because reports are for the previous year.)
Paramount Tactical's visit to the campus late last year showed the easy access long after the shooting. The roof was more monitored then, but was still easy to get on.
These links are from October and November 2025. Many podcasters have taken interest in the CK murder. Paramount Tactical is only one example, but he seems to run a sensible one with interviews and documentation from onsite visits to UVU. He does say in the Oct 2025 example that he hoped TPUSA would sue. UVU has been given legal notice by TPUSA to indeed sue.
https://www.youtube.com/live/OHiEMOZ5sMU?is=5GWioNyckB_i5hY7
https://www.youtube.com/live/jGsz7cOFi_8?is=Lp48D2iVrWFeG4Y8
After the horse has left the barn, closing a door will not keep the horse from possible harm.
Some schools have learned the hard way when doors are not secured. There are so many reports of naive slip ups, intentional ignorance or negligence, I am not listing them here.
The Clery Act, in its name, points out one situation that was deadly. One death can change the law. If you have not read my book or other posts on The Clery Act, now might be a good time. It is not just about students.
I grew up in a city that had problems. It wasn't always that way. But, in my youth it was very troubled. We drew blinds at night and locked doors and windows. My parents were not naive. However, Christmas lights were stolen right off the decorated trees in our yard one year. There was a party inside. No one heard or noticed.
A murder happened just outside the city limits of Pittsburgh one night last week (September 2026). Although shootings and stabbings are not unusual here, this one has made national news due to the dead victim. It was in a suburb which has "All are welcome" and ADT signs often in the same yards. The murderer entered, per news reports, through an unlocked window. There is more to this sad story but this post is about access.
I discuss access often with family and friends. I legally work for the things I have so I have always locked windows and doors. Plus, I like my life. I am not going to make it easy for someone with ill intent.
I also try to be situationally aware of people who seem out of place or sounds that may signal danger.
Life is a participatory experience. I try to participate the best way I know how.
Participate in your own safety. It may help someone else also.
Marian R. Carlino
September 27, 2026