Inalienable rights should be the law for all

Stopping School Violence One Teacher's Silent Scream

Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Pink Straw and an Education



I had a most delicious milkshake from a new place of business last night.  The sweet smell of waffle cones being made drew me in. I conversed with the owner of the new establishment while the specialty shake was being made.  I learned a little about him and he learned a little about me. Our conversation was friendly, open and honest while remaining pedestrian.  Our accents determined that neither one of us were native of Pittsburgh.  I am a Jersey girl and he is from Turkey.  I asked how long the store had been open.  He said eight days.  So theoretically, I was one of his first customers.  Two younger people made the shake.  I went with the strawberry cheesecake this time!

The sign outside advertised "we have Penn State ice cream".  I joked that they needed a sign for Pitt ice cream also.  The owner educated me.  He said there is a creamery in the Penn State area that makes the ice cream. It is quite famous.  I did not know that.  I later googled the information.  Very true.  Penn State alumni would know that.

We joked about the rivalry and the selling aspect of sweet smells as one passes by. 

We connected over a sweet smell.  I drank my milkshake out of a wide pink straw while I walked along the main street.   The large pieces of strawberries could be sucked right up out of the creamy cheesecake shake.  When I got home I used that straw as a spoon to get every last drop of cream and topping that would not make its way through the straw. 

The large, pink, plastic straw- a happy color choice for a business to use.  Paper would not have worked.

Thanks FRIO creamery!!

I will have to walk a little longer today,  but my life is a little richer today because of that sweet smell and a conversation.



Marian R. Carlino
August 26, 2018