Inalienable rights should be the law for all

Stopping School Violence One Teacher's Silent Scream

Thursday, June 6, 2019

December 21, 2002

If you have ever read any of my FB posts, you do know that I have opinions and beliefs related to politics too.  In 2002, if you can imagine, a politician got in trouble for past statements.  The Courier Post  published my editorial with several other opinions.  All of the opinions were published before he stepped down.  I am not a huge fan of politicians stepping down.. even when I dislike them.  They were elected.

We can not continue to make people out to be racist.  I would hate all people of color if I took all their comments to heart.  Bus rides are eye opening to see how people react from all walks and colors of life.  After growing up in Plainfield, NJ- suffering riots, being targeted for being white, and my mother and sister both being assaulted - well I could have a much different view.  But, I don't judge people by their color, religion, nationality.  I do judge people by their actions.  Frankly, though, I have not excluded them from my life in general.  I do however have my boundaries but not being ignorant, I do believe all people need to be treated with respect.  And sometimes, that means reconciling with others who have done me harm. Others can just stay away.  I can love but I don't need to like.  Jesus- 101.

I met a very well educated black (a lawyer)  man a few years ago.  He was offended I described the turmoil in my town as riots.  He used a euphemism. I told him I grew up in Plainfield, NJ. I will continue to use the word- riots.  He was surprised to hear this white woman's take on growing up.  He wrongly assumed I did not suffer.  He wrongly assumed I was a privileged white woman.  He respects me when he sees me.  There is no Race and Reconciliation without honesty.

December 21, 2002 published in the Courier Post  the opinion page titled "What's Lott's Lesson?

( the politician, not the one who escaped Sodom and Gomorrah)

My editorial is titled Struggle-- the newspaper headline writings chose the title:

In the story, A Christmas Carol, Marley comes back from the dead to warn Scrooge that he should change his ways or risk facing the same shackled existence Marley does.  The ghosts of our nation's past appeared to Sen. Trent Lott.  Change comes only after a certain amount of struggle. I guess it's been Lott's turn to struggle.  He should thank God the struggle came before his 100th birthday.

I grew up in Plainfield during the 1950's and 1960's.  It was a very tense time.  I remember my parents talking about block busting by real estate agents to scare people into moving. When the first inter-racial family moved onto our block as our immediate neighbors, others weren't happy. People wouldn't walk on our sidewalks in front of our homes because we (our families) were friends. The neighbor on one side of us yelled at me for bringing a non-white (black) friend into our yard. (My mom was not happy with that neighbor.) A car was firebombed in front of our neighbor's house.  The race riots didn't make anyone happy- on either side.  Another neighbor's friend was a policeman ( actually a nephew) who was beaten to death in one of the riots- (with a shopping cart and a mob). Busing for desegregation wasn't a panacea for resolution of conflict; race riots broke out at my high school for several years.  I graduated in 1972 from Plainfield High.  My parents retired from that house in late 1970's.

They taught me to hate the violence, but not to hate people.

Marian R. Carlino
published December 21, 2002



What is your struggle?