Inalienable rights should be the law for all

Stopping School Violence One Teacher's Silent Scream

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Judas had second thoughts too


When an editorial is submitted to a newspaper, the editors read it.  Someone makes a decision after reading it, to publish or toss it.  Through the years while living in NJ, I had many editorials published.
Some were edited, some were not.  It didn't take too long, considering all the information I gave to the press, for the local and regional newspaper editors to take me seriously.  I was good for the newspaper.  At times, as in my previous blog post, people reacted.  Scott of the previous comment in my blog post on drawings used to write editorials too. I also made sense.

People used to ask me to write for them which is something I would not do.  If it was laid on the heart of someone to do something, they should do it.  I used to say if it doesn't get published, at least one person has read it.  So go ahead and write. 
 

As of my workshop series last year, I am on a stay-cation this week.  I am taking this opportunity to blog previous editorials.  It seems everything I said in the past is current today.  Sadly, after 21 years of dealing with school shootings, the bullshit is always the same.  Today's USA Today has an article about the Sante Fe school district.  Do you remember that school shooting?  Google USA today and see what the issue is. A substitute teacher died last May (2018).  The dead woman's husband is still waiting for answers per the USA Today article..

The Current labeled this editorial "When a teacher dies in the line of duty"  I updated my blog post to the title that is listed.  Read the editorial and you will learn why.

Netflix has a documentary on "When children kill."  The  black student from Florida listed in the editorial is one of the subjects. He is an adult now serving his time.   The hostage taker listed is a subject in another blog post. I also watched one on Newtown.  Still many unanswered questions with that one too. 

To the editor:  (published May 5, 2001)

When a fireman or policeman dies in the line of duty, representatives from around the country take time out to honor their brothers and sisters.
The members of the organizations know what it takes to go to work on a daily basis, always facing the possibility of tragedy.  Therefore, they show their respects to the family and communities by sending members of their ranks to the services for their fallen comrades.
This does not happen when a teacher dies.  The ranks don't come together to honor the dead, but instead they do public relations work to convince the public it can't happen in their own schools, even though they know differently.  
A trial of a young man, an honor student, started in Florida last week.  He killed his teacher last May (2000), at point blank range. His lawyers are arguing his intentions were not to kill.
While this young man awaits the determination of his fate, another honor student sits in a jail cell in the state of Washington, writing apologies for taking his class and teacher hostage on April 10, 2001. He used a loaded hunting rifle but didn't pull the trigger.  He says that he didn't intend to harm anyone either.  

Two thousand years ago, another teacher was led to death by a "pupil".  The teacher's name was Jesus- the student's name was Judas. Judas had second thoughts too, but he committed suicide before his lawyers could argue his intent.

Marian R.  Carlino
published May 5, 2001  

On the day that Columbine happened I was still dealing with legal issues with NJEA and NEA.  They took my calls.  I chastised them for never showing up at the nationally televised prayer service with dignitaries and politicians.  The President of NEA rode with VP Al Gore to Littleton- after I made my phone call.
I have a different take on prayer services now.  I think they romanticize the shootings but prayer is important.  Sadly, as the one here in Pittsburgh after the Tree of Life shooting,  politics and prayer become intermingled.  Politicians should stay away.  The voices of the rabbi's at the prayer service were the ones worth listening to.  Politicians were politicking. (But I digress.)

Marian R. Carlino
June 6, 2019