Inalienable rights should be the law for all

Stopping School Violence One Teacher's Silent Scream

Saturday, August 11, 2018

A Boy and a Dog and a Foot and a Shoe

Somewhere over the rainbow.. bluebirds fly   Somewhere Over the Rainbow medly


Have you ever loved anyone or anything so much, that you are impelled to express your emotions- in unusual, but socially acceptable ways?

When two of my sisters and I were younger, my older brother, Bill, bought a puppy to our house.  My parents were not exactly thrilled but Panda soon became one of the family.  My sister, Beth, loved him so much. One day, she said, " I love him so much I have to bite his shoe." Panda's favorite toy was a plastic dog toy shaped like a man's shoe. So my bar for loving one so much is the one Beth set!!   It was a child's honest expression of love!

After my mom died, Ross and I took Panda and cared for him for about three years before he had to cross the rainbow bridge.  My dad was still alive at the time but could not care for Panda.  Through the years, they had become best buds.  The call to my dad that Panda had died was a difficult call.  Panda was 16.

My sister, Beth and her husband, have loved and cared for dogs their entire life together.  She and her husband have given a great home to several dogs through the years.  Some were rescued and some were brought to the home as puppies.  All had/have special personalities. She does not bite their shoes but they have been known to chew on a few of their shoes!!  The summer I moved to Pittsburgh, two of their dogs crossed over the rainbow bridge.  They now have two other dogs- one rescued and one from the puppy stage.

Chris, my son, has loved dogs his entire life.  He was born  after we took on the responsibility of the Carlino family dog, named Sammy.  Sammy and her original parents lived with us for a brief time when Sammy was a puppy.  She knew Panda and as a puppy drove him a little crazy during that time.  But Sammy moved with her parents to Florida for a time.  She arrived back on our door step in May 1985, the day we moved into our house in Somers Point.  We were not going to take her but the look on her face was pleading with us.  She would have stayed in a home of acquaintances at the time, but Ross and I couldn't resist her looks.  So we took her in, fenced in the yard and kept her.  What was a temporary situation, became permanent.  Three years into the deal, it was not fair to have her leave to live in a townhouse.  Our home was her home for 9 years.  Anna and Chris loved her so much when they came along and she loved them!! Sammy was 12 when she died.   Chris, Anna and I did foster a friend's dog for about a year and a half.  When he had to go back to his real parents, Chris's friends came to say good bye.  A short ride in a huge camper vehicle was part of the festivities.   We heard recently that our fostered dog, Cowboy aka Buddy Guy also crossed the rainbow bridge.

Chris's grandmother and uncle on the Carlino side of the family had dogs too.  Christopher got along with even the big ones- Mastives of all shapes and sizes.  Chris met Beth's and Keith's dog Moose when Moose was a puppy- a Heinz 57 like Panda was.  I can still see Chris and Moose playing an running together at a park in Toms River, NJ area so many years ago.  Chris would take another  uncle's cat for a ride in a stroller when he was just a toddler himself.

Many of the family's and friend's dogs and cats  have crossed that rainbow bridge.  Zion joined them today.

Now for today's update:

Anna and Chris still love dogs.  In fact, they both have rescued pitbulls.  Chris and Kelly also have cats.  Some of you may know of the few days at Christmas when Lola, Anna and Jeff's dog, escaped out the door of where she was staying.  It was a tense time, but Anna and Jeff, after her rescue, were so grateful to all the people who took time away from their work and social life schedules to help find her.  After escaping on Christmas night, she was found three days later by a caring stranger.  Many family members and strangers walked, called, and offered real help.  People and dogs- hard to separate! Zion helped in the search.

Zion, Christopher's and Kelly's dog, crossed over the rainbow bridge today.  He was such a chill dog.  I am impelled to tell his story as I know it.  I have no shoe to bite and I am too far away to hug Chris and Kelly or Trinity, Maggie or Reggie..so I am writing!!

Christopher met Zion while working with a social service agency in NJ.  He was just out of college and working with AmeriCorps.  He lived with a group of men who are truly, truly his best friends- some since childhood.

A woman Chris knew was in a difficult situation and needed to find temporary placement for her dog.  What started out as a temporary situation became a permanent situation.  I am so proud of Christopher.  He took Zion at a time when most young men are not taking on responsibility such as owning and caring for a dog..

I was concerned because of the situation and I only knew what the news reports of pitbulls.  The news doesn't get it right very often now does it.  Zion was one of the most chill dogs I have ever met.
He not only got along with every person he met, he got along with every dog and cat too.  Even "outdoor cat" at one of their apartments was a friend of Zion's!

Christopher's wife, Kelly,  loves cats and dogs and all animals too.  One day she was asked to take in a cat, Maggie, as a kitten.  Maggie lived with Chris, Zion and the other men in the house until Chris and Kelly established their own home.  Another dog, Trinity,  and another cat, Reggie, Zion had animal siblings who will mourn his absence.  Maggie, Reggie and Trinity will help at this time!!

Trinity staying by Zion when he first started to take the turn.


When Chris and Kelly exchanged their marriage vows,  Zion carried the rings.  He looked very dashing wearing a yellow tie!

Early on, Zion stayed with me one night in my apartment in Somers Point, NJ when I lived there .  I was not supposed to have pets, but Zion was a visitor.  I was a little concerned.  Christopher had warned me that when he would leave the room, Zion would whine.   He whined when Chris and Kelly left to go visit friends.  I knew it was not serious so I tried to comfort him.  I sat on a chair and Zion tried to sit in my lap.  (Whenever I sit in that chair now, I think of Zion.)  Since I lived in an apartment I had to call Chris and Kelly to come home (about 1 am).  They came and got him and then went to a friend's house with him.  Needlessly, I was concerned that they took him to the friend's home because they had a dog.  I didn't know at the time that Zion was a universal lover!  If I had trusted the judgement of Chris at the time, I would have lifted Zion up on my bed.  Lessons learned.

Eventually, Zion was one of my sleeping companions along with the other animals strategically placed through the years.  Two and three dogs nights when we all would get together were not uncommon!

Another time I was concerned about how Zion would react was when he met Lola for the first time.  Zion was known for being well built if you know what I mean.  He was a gentleman and Chris, Kelly, Anna and Jeff supervised the first meeting.  My kids assured me all was well.  Lola fell in love at first site.  The picture here is not a unique one.  Lola and Zion often snuggled when they were together!!

The story of Zion would not be complete from my perspective without mentioning the names of those who helped Chris parent him through the years.  I know in recent times, Kelly's parents loved and cared for Zion (and the rest of the crew) when needed.  Kelly's sister and her boyfriend also have.  Steve, Josh, Danny and their wives and girlfriend's also loved Zion.  They also helped care for him at times through the years.  There have been roommates and friends who "lived in" when Chris and Kelly went on vacation.  There have been friends who have shared the couch with Zion too.  The "REV" is one of them.

Christopher  and Kelly made a road trip in May to Pittsburgh  to see us.  We knew it would be Zion's last trip here.  He got a chance to meet, Sheldon, the newest member in Anna's and Jeff's family.  I was in that pile for awhile that day!!  Zion is on the floor.  Sleeping from left to right on the sofa are Trinity, Sheldon and Lola.



Animals can leave footprints on our hearts.  May they enjoy their reward for being man's best friend when they cross over the rainbow bridge.  All God's creatures great and small- we know God loves them all.

Christopher and Kelly would love to do something for all animals.  As a child I told him as hard as it is, we can't.  So you have to take the best care of the animals that are put in your life.  Chris and Kelly did that with Zion.  He was much loved.  He will be greatly missed.


TOTOTOTO!!!!

Marian R. Carlino
August 11, 2018